• Emails reveal early views of Libya attack
    THE NEW YORK TIMES | October 25,2012
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article

    This redacted copy of an email obtained by The Associated Press discusses the attack of the Benghazi, Libya mission. Two hours after the U.S. Consulate came under attack in Benghazi, Libya, the White House was told that a militant group was claiming responsibility for the violence that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.
    WASHINGTON — A series of three leaked emails sent by State Department officials two hours after the fatal attack began on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, last month — including one that alerted the White House Situation Room that a militant group had claimed responsibility for it — stirred new debate Wednesday about the Obama administration’s shifting positions on the cause of the attack.

    The first email said the State Department’s regional security officer in Tripoli, Libya, had reported that the mission in Benghazi was under attack, and that “20 armed people fired shots.”

    An email 49 minutes later said the firing at the consulate “has stopped and the compound has been cleared,” while a response team was trying to find people.

    In the next message, 1 hour 13 minutes after the second, the embassy in Tripoli reported that a local militant group, Ansar al-Shariah, had claimed responsibility for the attack through postings on Facebook and Twitter.

    In the hours after the Benghazi attack, U.S. spy agencies intercepted electronic communications from Ansar al-Shariah fighters bragging to an operative with al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, the group’s North African arm. But Ansar al-Shariah has publicly denied having anything to do with the attack.

    A White House spokesman, Jay Carney, traveling with President Barack Obama on Air Force One, said the emails, reported by Reuters, were unclassified and among “all sorts of information that was becoming available in the aftermath of the attack.”

    The emails surfaced as the Tunisian government confirmed that it had arrested a Tunisian man reportedly linked to the attack, which killed Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans at the mission in Benghazi on Sept. 11.

    A spokesman for the Tunisian Interior Ministry, Tarrouch Khaled, told The Associated Press that the suspect, Ali Harzi, 28, was in custody in Tunis. Khaled did not provide details.

    Some Republicans have criticized the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Susan E. Rice, for stating five days after the attack that it had resulted from a spontaneous mob that was angry about an anti-Islamic video, even though some intelligence reports and eyewitness accounts indicated a terrorist attack. Rice said she had based her comments on unclassified talking points prepared by the CIA.

    The issue seemed to die down after Mitt Romney did not press Obama on the matter in their debate Monday night.

    On Wednesday, three Republican senators, John McCain of Arizona, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, criticized Obama in a letter, saying the series of emails “only adds to the confusion surrounding what you and your administration knew about the attacks in Benghazi, when you knew it, and why you responded to those tragic events in the ways you did.”

    Intelligence officials say the gap between the talking points and the contemporaneous field reports illustrates the lag between turning often contradictory and incomplete field reporting into a finished assessment.

    Administration and intelligence officials made that point again Wednesday in trying to put into context the emails sent by the State Department operations center to scores of officials at the Pentagon, State Department and White House.

    “You know, posting something on Facebook is not in and of itself evidence, and I think it just underscores how fluid the reporting was at the time and continued some time to be,” Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton told reporters at the State Department.
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    MORE IN Wire News

    PRISTINA, Kosovo — Opposition lawmakers in Kosovo disrupted parliament’s session... Full Story

    LUXEMBOURG — The European Union on Thursday took measures to buttress its porous... Full Story

    EU agrees to speed migrant deportation, buttress borders

    JERUSALEM — A Palestinian stabbed four Israelis with a screwdriver on Thursday before a... Full Story

    Amid new attacks, Israel bars ministers from Jerusalem site
    More Articles