Michael Lannon’s letter of support for Wendy Wilton for state treasurer bears some comment.
Mr. Lannon relays former treasurer Jeb Spaulding’s comment that Beth Pearce is the best Vermont state treasurer in recent memory. From that Mr. Lannon draws the conclusion that Mr. Spaulding’s comment was a self-admission that he was not a very good treasurer. Then Mr. Lannon wrote that James Douglas, who preceded Mr. Spaulding as state treasurer, was a great treasurer.
I wonder where Mr. Lannon learned logic. One, I’m sure that Mr. Spaulding remembers his predecessor, so Jim Douglas is included in “recent memory” group. And just because Mr. Spaulding thinks Beth Pearce has done a better job then he did doesn’t mean that Mr. Spaulding admits to doing a poor job.
Vote for whom you think is best, but discount illogical statements like that of Mr. Lannon’s.
WAYNE L. WESEMAN
OrwellMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.