Michael Lannon’s letter of support for Wendy Wilton for state treasurer bears some comment.
Mr. Lannon relays former treasurer Jeb Spaulding’s comment that Beth Pearce is the best Vermont state treasurer in recent memory. From that Mr. Lannon draws the conclusion that Mr. Spaulding’s comment was a self-admission that he was not a very good treasurer. Then Mr. Lannon wrote that James Douglas, who preceded Mr. Spaulding as state treasurer, was a great treasurer.
I wonder where Mr. Lannon learned logic. One, I’m sure that Mr. Spaulding remembers his predecessor, so Jim Douglas is included in “recent memory” group. And just because Mr. Spaulding thinks Beth Pearce has done a better job then he did doesn’t mean that Mr. Spaulding admits to doing a poor job.
Vote for whom you think is best, but discount illogical statements like that of Mr. Lannon’s.
WAYNE L. WESEMAN
OrwellMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.