Fire in Proctor leaves family homelessBy Cristina Kumka
Staff Writer | October 18,2012Cristina Kumka / Staff Photo
Ten-year-old Tiana Moyer stands a block away from her home that was burned beyond repair Thursday afternoon. Moyer's dog, Coco, was saved from the burning building by a Proctor firefighter and the two were reunited as Moyer walked up to the home in tears.An afternoon fire at 99 West St. in Proctor left a family homeless but the life of the family pet, a small white dog named Coco, was saved.
As homeowner Anders Velde watched in tears as his 10-year investment nearly burned to the ground, Proctor Firefighter Carl Messer rushed from the smoky house with a thumbs up.
An ash-colored puff emerged in his arms.
Velde ran over as if sweeping in, and near the home's back porch, took his beloved dog from the rescuer's arms.
Firefighters were searching for the dog for about an hour before discovering it, shaking and hiding under a bed in a corner of the home that wasn't burned.
It was the only consoling moment for the family of three and Coco, who lost their home to a fire that broke out at about 2 p.m.
Proctor Fire Chief Vinnie Gatti estimated at least $80,000 worth of damage to the uninhabitable home.
About an hour after the fire started, Gatti said it appeared to have been caused by a pellet stove, one Velde recently had installed.
Read more about the fire in tomorrow's Rutland Herald.MORE IN This Just InSPRINGFIELD — A man accused of killing a West Haven father and son died in the Springfield... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Scientists call for more research on the temporal and lasting effects of nuclear fallout on plants and animals in proximity to Japan’s Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power station where changes at the molecular level were found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Archaelogists uncover artifacts proving that late neolithic Egyptians, pre-dating the Pyramids of Giza, practiced mummification to prepare their dead for the afterlife, far earlier than presupposed.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.