Helpers wanted for July 4 eventsOctober 16,2012BRANDON — The committee charged with the annual Independence Day Celebration is seeking volunteers and ideas for floats for next year’s parade and festivities.
The committee has also joined forces with the Stephen A. Douglas Birthplace to celebrate Douglas’ bicentennial birthday next summer.
The theme of 2013 Fourth of July parade and weekend festivities is “Old Home Days.” Historically, Old Home Days in New England are a way to welcome back former residents to their old hometown.
Brandon wants to bring back as many people who grew up in town, have a connection to the town or can trace their lineage to town.
The committee has started recruiting marching units and floats for the parade to represent Brandon’s past, present and future.
To volunteer or for more information, contact the committee at 247-6401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.