The picture of Aldo Merusi in todayís Herald (Oct. 8) brings back many happy memories. When I was I was a student at Rutland High School in the 1940s, I was a cheerleader. After RHS lost a basketball game to MSJ, Anne Preston Brush and I were sitting on the first row of bleachers, looking very sad. He took our picture and wanted to publish it. We called him and asked that he not publish the picture; we thought that MSJ would think we were poor losers. I still have that picture.
During a summer vacation from school he took a picture of a group of high school girls when we were taking a senior life-saving course at the old pool on North Main Street. That picture was in the Merusi Files just a few months ago.
In 1951 when Rob and I were married, my mother and I lived in a small apartment. Mr. Merusi came to the apartment and took pictures and then to IHM and on to The Wheeler Williams and the reception.
The picture of Aldo that is in the Herald today, in that long coat, is great. He always had his pockets full of flash bulbs. I am very happy to have known him.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.