I am writing this letter in strong support of Steve Carr who is running to represent the towns of Sudbury, Pittsford and Brandon in the Vermont Legislature. Steve brings business experience and passion into this election and will represent our communities with integrity and compassion.
I have met Butch Shaw, whom I respect and like very much, but he and Peg Flory (our current senator) bring a negative vote to all causes that do not fit into the usual Republican mantra. I believe in the free market but the marketplace is not always the place that will solve our problems, especially those associated with the health care system. In fact, the marketplace in the absence of reasonable regulations has caused most of our deficiencies in the economy and health care.
I have not met Seth Hopkins but I have viewed the video that he acted in which was supported largely by out-of-state groups and was targeting against health care reform in Vermont. I know Joe Acinapura and respect him very much and wish him good luck in his retirement from the Legislature but he also did not see the light in terms of health care reform.
Steve Carr will support health care reform and in a way that will support those not fortunate to pay full premiums and those who have pre-existing conditions, as well as those who are woefully underinsured. Anybody who has experienced a health crisis without insurance or inadequate insurance knows that vital reform is needed. For those who have never experienced a health crisis (hundreds of thousands of dollars worth), just try to think about what that would mean to you without that insurance coverage.
The marketplace cares about money, not your health. Steve will bring a reasonable balance to our representation. I support him and I hope that you will, too!
SudburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.