MONTPELIER — A judge has refused a Vermont man’s request to strike Barack Obama’s name from the state’s election ballots, saying he’s not a natural born citizen.
The lawsuit was filed by H. Brooke Paige, who said Obama is “not a natural born citizen” because both of his parents were not born in the United States.
Obama was born in Hawaii and is a United States citizen.
Judge Robert Bent ruled Friday that the court has been presented with an insufficient basis on which to issue a temporary or even a preliminary injunction.
The Burlington Free Press reported that the judge also said there was little evidence to support Paige’s claim about Obama not being a “natural born citizen,” noting that judges in some other states have rejected the issue.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe Senate on Tuesday advanced a GMO labeling bill that sets Vermont on a course to be the first... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.