Obama off ballot
MONTPELIER — A Vermont man claiming that Barack Obama is unqualified to be president because he’s not a “natural-born citizen” is asking a state judge to halt distribution of election ballots unless the president’s name is removed.
But the Burlington Free Press reports that H. Brooke Paige may be too late in his request, which was filed Thursday in Superior Court in Montpelier.
Paige wants the court to prohibit Secretary of State Jim Condos from printing and sending the ballots for the Nov. 6 election if Obama’s name is listed on them.
But the elections administrator at the secretary of state’s office said workers Friday afternoon were sending electronic copies of the ballots to towns across Vermont. Early voting and transmission of ballots to voters overseas must get under way Saturday.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.