Danby voters pass budgetsAugust 29,2012DANBY — The third time is the charm as municipal and school budgets were approved on Tuesday following a day of Australian ballot voting.
Townspeople approved the $1,149,134 municipal spending plan, 183-169. It was up $121,841 over the $1,027,293 soundly defeated by voters in May, 291-174 and it was $74,651 more than the $1,074,483 spending plan narrowly rejected by residents on Town Meeting Day, 192-189.
Voters also passed the secondary education spending plan of $1,896,834, 191-132. The same amount was narrowly defeated in May, 238-235, and rejected on Town Meeting Day, 202-185.
The education tax rate is expected to drop 29 cents from $1.40 to $1.11, according to Bennington Rutland Supervisory Union Superintendent Dan French.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.